Sleeps 3 plus a possible extra 2 making use of the double sofa bed in the lounge. Shire Cottage is a comfortable, well-equipped cottage comprising, kitchen, lounge, bathroom, conservatory and utility room downstairs and two bedrooms upstairs.
A quiet, peaceful haven set in a conservation area on the Lanarkshire and Dumfriesshire border. Nestling in the Lowther Hills and close to the Southern Upland Way, Leadhills Village is the second highest in Scotland at 395 metres, has the highest golf course (9 holes) and was the first in Britain to have a subscription library. Remote, yet only 15 minutes’ drive from the M74, and a great location for a trip to Edinburgh and Glasgow.
The kitchen is equipped with electric cooker, dishwasher, fridge with freezer compartment, microwave and plenty of worktop and cupboard space. There is a washing machine and tumble dryer in the utility room.The lounge has feature fireplace with log-burning stove, seating for 5 including a sofa bed, dining table & chairs, Sky TV, DVD and free Wi-fi access. The bathroom has a bath with overhead thermostatic shower. From the lounge, a wrought iron staircase leads to the 2 bedrooms upstairs – one with a double bed and the other a single bed. Bedrooms are small but adequate.
- Private off-road parking.
- Bed linen, towels, electricity and oil-fired central heating are all included.
- Complimentary starter pack of kindling and logs are provided for the log-burning stove. Further supplies are available in the village shop.
- Sorry, no children under 7 years of age.
- Pets are not permitted.
- No smoking.
- Bookable on a weekly basis only (Saturday to Saturday).
- Perfectly located for visiting Glasgow (1 hour), Edinburgh (1¼ hours), Dumfries (1 hour) and Ayr (1¼ hours).
Some places of interest include –
Wanlockhead Museum of Lead Mining, Wanlockhead
Drumlanrig Castle & Gardens, Thornhill
Strathaven Miniature Railway, Strathaven
New Lanark World Heritage Site, New Lanark
Falls of Clyde, New Lanark
The David Livingstone Centre, Blantyre
Lanark Heritage Trail, Lanark
Crawford Castle (ruin), Crawford